Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ouch and Thanks

Feelings of betrayal. Maybe I read more in to comments than were there, maybe people lied to me and in front of me. When Jerry moved with Amy seconding for the secret ballot, well, at that point I went from nervous to an ache in the pit of the stomach. That motion from those people... ouch. I expect it from the nut-job coalition but from my friends? I wish someone would have roll'ed that vote. Final special election result? Four votes out of ten does not a winner make. Congratulations to Alerperson Haefs.

Here's a bit of insider politics... I cut a deal with one Alderperson for a vote. He agreed to vote for me if I agreed to stay out of the mayoral primary. A high price on my part but this guy shifts between moderate right and far right depending on the day you catch him so I cut the deal on the spot. He also has a well deserved reputation for flip-flopping. So, an hour before the meeting, this guy starts texting and leaving VMs asking to be released from his obligation. Since I had to pre-pay my part of the deal I was getting dressed I didn't return. With a closed ballot, there is no way to actually know who voted which way but my best guess is that he kept his word.

The most interesting part of this experience? Two of the three most up front and honest guys told me they were not voting for me. Tony because of Dan's long experience and support in the district, Andy because he thinks our politics are too different. I genuinely appreciate the direct honesty where it was given and that includes Dan giving me a heads up that he was running.

Even the chair of a volunteer committee on which I serve showed up supporting another candidate. It just wasn't my night, I guess.

I am grateful for all the supportive calls, texts and emails both before and after last night. For the folks suggesting I run again, it's nice of you to ask. We'll see. Now is not the time to make that decision. Public service is rewarding, getting to know people is fun, solving problems is rewarding. Being a candidate who has to fend off half truths and and lies isn't either. Thanks for reading.

No comments: