Thursday, March 31, 2011

After 12.7 Years, Today is My Last Day at this Job

After more than a decade working on the same product, I find that the current owner of Magic is done with me. The company has other priorities. I'm honored to have my name on the same list with the other folks who were let go this round. I'm happy to hear that they are getting offers to continue their employment. I'd work with any one of them again. Good workers, solid minds and good hearts. This company has been good to me. There is clearly work yet to do but it's no longer my work to do. I wish the company and my colleagues good luck. With rare exceptions, it has truly been my pleasure. What a wonderful, if trying at times, journey.

It's odd getting laid off. Of course, it is nearly inevitable as the general suction of programming jobs from the developed to the developing continues. It's a little amazing that I made it 12 years. That's an eternity in the software business.

There certainly aren't that many postings job postings with these enterprisey software companies in the USA any more. Next to none compared to the roaring nineties of the dot-com boom when I last looked for a job. I continue to work on my resume, references and interview prep. Back in the day we didn't talk to HR critters, we talked to development managers. So that'll be a new experience. Today I start to close my office and prepare my equipment to be shipped back. I wonder when the paperwork will arrive. I wonder when they'll call to pick up the computers. I need to sign up for COBRA and take a look at filing for unemployment though I expect I'll have a job in a week or five. Now is the time to look forward, to think about what I'd like to do and what service I can provide. Through it all I consider and look at the many opportunities out there that keep me home. Weighing and considering where to apply and what to do is fun but first there are a few more things to wrap up.

I will always remember the past but new adventures and opportunities have me truly excited!

3 comments:

BennyV said...

Hi Dan,

You have been a wonderful colleague. Very valuable to SDE.
When you were in Pune, we had gone out once for lunch :)

Wish you all the best!
Regards,
Benny Varghese (Magic)

BennyV said...

Hi Dan,

You have been a wonderful colleague. Very valuable to SDE.
When you were in Pune, we had gone out once for lunch :)

Wish you all the best!
Regards,
Benny Varghese (Magic)

Heaven Rocks (nXm) said...

Hey dan! Sad to know you are no longer with "Magic" / SDE...

I still remember a mail you sent to magic engineering.. where you talked a lot about "some person" who coded in a particularly bad way and that you ended up fixing that code block for a customer issue.. the mail ended with you saying "that person was yours truly" or something like that :)

Hope you have a good opportunity sometime soon.. and hope our paths cross sometime..

Nikhil