Monday, November 16, 2009

The War Against Boys, Chapter 1

I'm not sure how I stumbled across this (NY Times, login required) but once I started reading I had to finish. When pointed out, the overwhelming anecdotes seems obvious. Boys do drop out and get expelled more. More girls do go seem to continue on to college. There's no doubt in my mind that an organization pushing their cause can unintentionally hurt others. I wonder if that really is the case here? I'd love to read more on the opposing side, especially if they work to respond directly to this book.

Aside: While not closed yet, I understand the gender equity gap in salary is slowly shrinking. I also understand that women are weathering this recession far better than men. I wonder, how will expectations and customs change if women end up bringing more home more often than not? Could that happen before real job creation starts up again in this country? Will the waitress start setting the bill next to my wife instead of me in a few years? Will wedding officiators eventually say, Mrs. and Mr. when presenting the groom and bride? Could we find a better balance along the way or will the social pendulum over-swing first as it often does?

Bringing this back to education, I guess it makes sense to me that you should gather information on groups. But use that information to address the needs of individuals. After all, the primary goal of schools should be to produce well educated individuals. Right?

http://danslotd.blogspot.com

No comments: