Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Illtyperacy is the bastard incest child hiding in the [I.T.] industry's basement." - Steve Yegge


I took keyboarding in college because it seemed a logical skill for a programmer to have and I admired one of my instructors who typed like a whirlwind. Over the years my skill has increased. I type fast. So fast that I was recently jotting down a note while on the phone and the person on the other end accused me of just banging my hands against the keyboard. They actually thought I was play typing. Doing my day job right requires my thoughts and ideas go through a keyboard far more often than any other communication channel. So of course I'm going to master that skill.


Steve Yegge does a rant on how programmers should know how to type. Most folks may not realize it, but he's right. There are programmers out there who cannot touch type and they are almost always held back by this. (Note to rookies from a dot bomb guy who kept his job: Hunt and peck programmers are often laid off first when that reorg comes around.)



It seems to me this lesson is more broadly applicable. I am an expert at many parts of my computer job. It's my other job, voters willing, where I will continue to identify, improve and/or master the needed and useful skills for years to come. Whatever it takes to serve my district, this city, the larger community and the world. No illtyperacy allowed, especially in this endeavor.

No comments: