Saturday, December 13, 2014

Name Dropping is Cheating

This Name Dropping is Cheating article strongly resonated with me.

"<insert big wig name here> wants this." is something everyone in a large hierarchical organization has heard. And you know what? It really is a lazy short cut. The command and control management style that seems to go hand in hand with this method of getting things done doesn't really doesn't allow for collaboration or improvement on an idea. This method also seems to be frequently utilized by those who take credit for getting stuff done but somehow forget to share that credit with those who actually did the work.

Look, there will always be exceptions because emergencies happen and that's OK. In that case tell me what got screwed up and how my getting task X done ASAP will bail us all out. I will do my best to make that happen.

But if you want my best in the normal course of work, I need to know the goals of the mission as well as the task requested. If you project command and control power at me to get a task done I will get that task done. However, if you work with me on developing an idea or goal I promise the final result will be superior. Even if you work with me just a little bit and put the requirement in context. Building something in a vacuum results in an inferior product or service and I resent people who prevent me from doing my best work. I like to exceed expectations.

But how to respond as an individual contributor in a way that doesn't offend but does nudge the name dropper in a more productive direction... how about something along the lines of, "That's great! We are happy to help meet <exec>'s goals if we can. Can you share the vision for this project?" I welcome other ideas.

Maybe I'm being a self important prima donna here but I don't think so. I think most managers and executives would want an idea understood, examined and improved at every step of the process.

Besides, do you think the big wigs want people running around using their names? It reminds me of this line from Charlie Wilson's War, "...I'd appreciate it if you didn't throw my name around quite so much, because from time to time I use it myself and I need it in good condition."

No comments: