Tuesday, March 18, 2014

News Flash: Solid State Drives Rock, Dan the Last to Experience


I'm honestly not sure how old my laptop is off hand but it's at least five years. It's a System76 Serval Pro 5 that I originally ordered with 8 gig of RAM, Two Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P9700 @ 2.80GHz processors, an NVidea GeForce GTX with 1G of RAM, and a 7200rpm 500G hard drive. It was a higher end workstation replacement class machine back then and cost a few thousand dollars. It has been a great machine but the old hard drive was finally giving up the ghost. The occasional random file would go corrupt and the various disk utilities couldn't fix the bad sectors.

I finally made the jump to a Solid State Drive and highly recommend it. Without the moving parts of an old fashioned platter and spindle it's blazing fast. While I had it open I removed the years of built up gunk from cooling system that was apparently making the poor cooling fan run non-stop. Between the cleaning and the new hard drive this machine is now nearly silent. What a difference! Here's hoping this investment will make extend usefulness another five years.

I know that I'm coming late to the SSD game... I was always interested but, between price and a lack of need, I just never bothered. So far, it's absolutely worth every penny.

No comments: