Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Newspaper Week Editorial Response

"The Press-Gazette has a proven record of providing what its readership expects and requires. We remain committed to our readers and this community, and we'll be here for a long time to come."

I appreciate those words and I still want timely news like this article stating that the Executive vetoed the latest county board proposed maps today. I'm grateful I can get it online. I subscribed to the weekend edition for two years because I wanted to support my local paper. I read that paper based content maybe three times in those two years. Almost all of them literally went from the paper box to the recycle bin.

Please start genuinely working toward getting beyond the paper based add and subscription sales model. Ditch the anonymous forums, the signal to noise ratio is unbearably low. Make folks use real names tied to their paid online subscriptions. Include your archives in an online subscription. Allow an online subscriber to order six paper-papers a year. Throw in some classified add words and automatically cross post them to online partners. Most importantly, offer the paper without advertisements to subscribers. (The technically savvy people already turned the adds off because they cause the page to load way, way too slow.)

In otherwords, if you want my money for your online content then you need to build value around your content. You also need to give me a way to give you money without having a dead tree delivered to my house. Thanks for reading!

No comments: