Wednesday, October 29, 2008

New Newspapers

I'm glad the CSMonitor is on the leading edge of the paper newspaper to data newspaper transition. I think it makes the survival of a newspaper I like more likely.

If only the Press Gannett would figure out a way for me to give them money for a web subscription. I would love to support the local reporters and editors by paying for electronic access without all the baggage. Oh, yeah, and while I'm at it, your RSS feeds could use some better sorting and your CMS & page code could be better. I get that this is probably all according to Gannett dictates but I'd still like to see fast, lean, add-free web pages with simple, thoughtful URLs on well organized RSS feeds and section web pages. Seriously, what the hell good is http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081029/GPG03/81029104/1978 and all the bandwidth it soaks up? Why not http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/20081029/headlines/1 for headline #1 on 10/29? Don't even get me started on the cost of your archives...

It's too bad the News Chronicle didn't hang on for just a few more years. They understood and embraced the web and might just be growing now as the Press Gazette fades away while clinging to an obsolete business model.

Perhaps I've said too much, perhaps not enough.

No comments: